Turning Back the Pages - January 5
100 years ago — January 1912
LIME ROCK — Mrs. Bulman has been suffering from a very sore hand caused by a cat biting her.
George W. Clark is now superintendent of the CNE railway. Mr. Clark began his railroad career as a brakeman on the Erie railroad. Six years ago he became the CNE yardmaster at Maybrook, N.Y., his home being in Poughkeepsie. Two and a half years afterward he was made assistant superintendent, which office he held at the time of his latest promotion.
LIME ROCK — John Smith is to soon give up barbering and is going to take up the duties of mail carrier on the Lakeville R.F.D. route.
50 years ago — January 1962
A new shopping center with a super market, a coin laundry, dry cleaning plant and other stores will be erected on East Main Street in Canaan, according to Irving Eisenbaum of West Hartford. Mr. Eisenbaum has purchased the houses on the property, amounting to approximately 63,500 square feet of Charles Dickinson and Douglas Tyler on East Main Street. The super market will have a floor area of 15,000 square feet. The center will include parking for 200 cars.
KENT — T.B. Castle of the Merchant Marine arrived home Dec. 30 for an indeterminate leave. Mr. Castle has been on a coastal tanker cruising up and down the Atlantic.
Some 15 to 18 babies born at the Sharon Hospital during the Christmas Holidays left for home in style — stuffed into huge red flannel Santa stockings given to the mothers by the Sharon Hospital Auxiliary.
Taken from decades-old Lake-ville Journals, these items contain original spellings and phrases.