Fire stalls renovations at Colt building
WINSTED — Work remains stalled at 412 Main St., formerly known as the Colt Building, where an accidental fire caused smoke damage to the ground floor last month.Firefighters were called to the scene the evening of Feb. 19 and quickly extinguished the blaze, which they said was likely caused by spontaneous combustion of rags used for interior finishing. Current owners Christopher Petricone and Mark Giorda were not in the area at the time but had recently installed a new awning at the street level, along with new exterior woodwork.Petricone and Giorda purchased the building in 2009, about a year after foreclosure proceedings were executed against previous owner Dick Colt. In recent years, the upstairs apartments in the building had fallen into disrepair. The new owners are poised to renovate the structure for combined retail/residential use.The Colt family operated a clothing store on the ground floor of the 19th-century building for many years. The building also housed the Highland Arms restaurant, which was owned and operated by the Nader family.