Man convicted of Sharon theft dies in custody
SHARON â€” Frank Marve Campbell III died June 2 at the University of Connecticut Medical Center in Farmington. He was serving time for a burglary in June 2008 at Sharon Pharmacy.
Campbell was convicted of smashing one of the windows at Sharon Pharmacy and dragging out a safe that contained various prescription medications.
State police conducted a four-month investigation into the crime and then issued a search warrant for Campbellâ€™s Butter Road residence in Sharon in early October 2008.
During the search, detectives discovered prescription narcotics that were determined to have been stolen from the pharmacy and a pound and-a-half of marijuana.
Campbell, who was 49 at that time, was taken into custody and charged with larceny in the second degree, possession of narcotics, possession of narcotics with intent to sell, operating a drug factory, possession of more than 4 ounces of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and cultivating marijuana.
He was already serving probation after having been convicted in 2005 of possessing more than 4 ounces of marijuana.
There are rumors circulating that Campbell choked on a plastic bag full of marijuana that was brought to him by his wife, Alicia.
Anne Campbell said that she went with Alicia to visit him in prison on June 2. She claims that she did not see anything change hands during the visit. Campbell apparently died during the visit.
His mother would not make any comment on the record at this time but she did say she does not believe he choked to death.
A spokesman for the state Department of Corrections confirmed that Campbell had died in prison but would not give any further details. He said an investigation is being conducted into the death.
â€œI have no comment on the cause of his death at this time,â€ Anne Campbell said. â€œItâ€™s a police matter.â€
However, she said she believes that her son did not commit the theft at the pharmacy and that he was framed by someone else.
â€œI strongly believe that he did not steal the safe from Sharon Pharmacy,â€ she said, adding that â€œHis wife and I were home with him that evening.â€