Turning Back The Pages - May 20
75 years ago â€” May 1935
Reflections of the Season (editorial): We were told that the greatest thing we had to fear was fear itself. That was over two years ago, and the country now has more fear and more to fear than ever.
SALISBURY â€” Mr. and Mrs. John Matheson and daughter Joan are guests at Aleck Mathesonâ€™s.
LIME ROCK â€” Mrs. Belcher and Miss Brigner are moving to Amesville, as they have recently sold their farm to Mr. Lorch.
LAKEVILLE â€” Owing to traffic congestion at the post officer corner, the milk receiving station of the Mitchell Dairy Co. has been transfered to the grounds of the Community Service Co. on Farnam Road. The handling of the large trucks at the Roberts block was difficult at times.
50 years ago â€” May 1960
SALISBURY â€” Donald Warner and Rees Harris, new owners of the White Hart Inn, have announced the appointment of Mr. and Mrs. John Harney as managers of the old hostelry.
FALLS VILLAGE â€” Mr. and Mrs. Malcolm Canfield and daughter, Kathy, spent Mothersâ€™ Day with their daughter, Jane Ellen, a senior at Wheaton College, Norton, Mass. After a family dinner at the Taunton Inn in Taunton, the Canfields returned to the campus for a short visit before driving home.
25 years ago â€” May 1985
CANAAN â€” The Housatonic Railroad will move passengers out of Canaan Station for the first time this year at 10:30 Saturday morning. Trains are scheduled to make regular runs from Canaan to West Cornwall at 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. every Saturday, Sunday and holiday throughout the summer and fall.
Taken from decades-old Lake-ville Journals, these items contain original spellings and phrases.