SALISBURY â€” George Peterson, 80, died March 28, 2010, at Noble Horizons.
George was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on July 7 or 19, 1929. Blind from birth and abandoned, he spent his infancy at the Angel Guardian Home in Brooklyn, then The Catholic Institute for the Blind and Lavelle School for the Blind, Bronx, N,Y., where he was cared for and taught by the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.
After graduation, he had training for the blind in New York City and attended Barnes Agricultural School for the Blind in Henniker, N.H.
He was employed by farms in New Hampshire and in New Jersey during his adult years, where he excelled in machinery repairs and animal husbandry. He later lived in Syracuse , N.Y., and moved to Falls Village, in 1972. George was known by many in the Tri-state area as an avid ham radio enthusiast.
In 1993, George joined the Noble Horizons community as a resident, where he made many friends. He enjoyed spending time outdoors in the sunny courtyards and greeting visitors outside the front entrance. He had a keen interest in current events and provided everyone with the morning low temperature and the dayâ€™s weather forecast.
George thrived on the visits from a faithful band of volunteers, who over the years, brought the world to him. The therapy pets at Noble Horizons were especially dear to him.
Mr. Peterson was predeceased by Mrs. Ernestine Earl in 1991. She was his companion of many years in Falls Village.
A service of remembrance and sharing will be held on Thursday, April 8, at 10:30 a.m. in St. Lukeâ€™s Chapel at Noble Horizons, followed by a reception in the Cobble Living Room.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Noble Horizons Pet Therapy Fund or the Noble Horizons Scholarship Fund, 17 Cobble Road, Salisbury, CT 06068, or his beloved Lavelle School for the Blind, 3830 Paulding Ave., Bronx, NY 10469.
Arrangements are under the care of the Newkirk-Palmer Funeral Home in North Canaan.