Home » Pieces of Winsted History On Sale for the Holidays

Pieces of Winsted History On Sale for the Holidays


WINSTED — Laurel City residents can purchase a piece of Winsted history this holiday season and contribute to economic development by purchasing ribbon candy ornaments from the nonprofit Friends of Main Street organization.

The glass ornaments commemorate the candy’s 1883 invention in Winsted. The candy was first created by Henry O. Atkins of the Hinsdale & Noble Candy Factory, located in the Willow Street building, which later became Capitol Products. Atkins later went on to open his own shop, Atkins’ Kandy Kitchen, in 1887. The store lived on for almost a century at different Main Street locations before closing in 1970.

Friends of Main Street has already sold more than 1,000 of the ribbon candy ornaments in previous years and there is still a limited supply in stock. The ornaments sell for $8.50 each or four for $32 and are available at Kelly’s Kitchen, Christine’s Flower Shoppe and Beacon Prescriptions.

In addition to the ribbon candy ornaments, there are 10 different Winsted building replicas available for purchase through Friends of Main Street. The buildings include First Church of Winsted, Town Hall, the Center Firehouse, the Gilson Cinema, Winchester Historical Society, the Howd, Lavieri and Finch building, Beardsley & Memorial Library, Soldiers’ Monument, The Gilbert School and Northwest Community Bank.

For more information, call Friends of Main Street at 860-738-3351.


— Michael Marciano

More Information

TriCorner News

Copyright The Lakeville Journal
860-435-9873
PO Box 1688, Lakeville, CT 06039
All Rights Reserved

Membership