Home » Millerton News Regional » State Police say ‘no foul play’ suspected in Dover man’s death

State Police say ‘no foul play’ suspected in Dover man’s death

DOVER PLAINS — The 32-year-old Dover resident who was discovered dead on a walking path behind the CVS Plaza at 3081 Route 22 in Dover Plains last week died of natural causes, according to New York State Police (NYSP) Troop K Public Information Officer A.J. Hicks.

Across the street from the CVS Plaza is a McDonald’s fast food restaurant as well as another plaza with a Dunkin’ Donuts located in it.

Hicks described the small path behind the CVS, not well known, except perhaps to local residents.

“It’s a little walking trail that people cut out, a little short cutout, not a state park or town park,” he said. “I don’t believe it was any kind of slip or fall or something else going on that caused this person to fall and die. It appears to be all natural.”

The man, who has been identified as Andrew Cherry of Dover Plains, had left his home in the town of Dover on Thursday, May 26, at around 6:30 p.m., according to Hicks.

According to Troop K, the family called the NYSP when Cherry failed to return home two hours later, asking for troopers to do a welfare check.

According to Hicks, the deceased was accustomed to walking the path behind the CVS to go to the store and then return to his residence, which seems to be where he was heading at the time of his death. The call to dispatch came in at 8:30 p.m. and the body was discovered prior to midnight.

“We did respond and are investigating; there are no signs of foul play,” said Hicks on Friday, May 27; he confirmed that the next of kin has been notified, adding, “I believe he was alone” at the time of death.

The Dutchess County medical examiner had performed the autopsy by the 27th, confirming the death was due to natural causes, but Hicks said the exact cause of death would not be made public.

The body was taken to the Poughkeepsie ME’s office  for the autopsy, as per regular procedure.

Hicks also had no expectations as to when the official medical report would be released from the ME’s office.

“The autopsy is done, but when the report comes from ME can be two days or two months, it depends on their case load,” he said. “I don’t expect it to take long, but we don’t get notification of when it will be completed.”

More Information

TriCorner News

Copyright The Lakeville Journal
PO Box 1688, Lakeville, CT 06039
All Rights Reserved

Policies, including Privacy and Ethics