Home » Lakeville Journal Opinionviewpoint Turning Back Pages » Turning Back The Pages

Turning Back The Pages

100 years ago ­— July 1921

SALISBURY — S. Millard Sanford is enjoying a week’s vacation from his duties at A.H. Heaton and Co.’s store and with his brother Amos is enjoying a motor trip, camping out wherever night overtakes them.

— Mr. John J. Coon and family left for their new home at Hopewell Junction last Wednesday, going by auto truck.

— Judge Lucien F. Burpee of Waterbury and Twin Lakes was injured in a peculiar manner at the house of a friend in Sheffield last Sunday. He was riding horseback when the animal bolted and ran into the barn. Judge Burpee’s head came in contact with a beam inflicting a cut and bruises which necessitated the care of a physician, but which are not serious.

ORE HILL — Richard Deneen and family have moved their household goods from Bridgeport and are at present with his mother on Belgo.

— St. Mary’s Convent will close this week, the sisters leaving for other places. Their many friends will greatly regret to lose them and it is a matter of keen regret that the convent and parochial school is to leave Lakeville. Both the sisters and children of the convent will be greatly missed.

50 years ago — July 1971

Sidney O. Cowles has announced that he will step down as president of Community Service Inc., a position he has held for 45 years. Mr. Cowles will continue to be active in the firm as a director. Mr. Cowles also announced that Michael Turnure has joined Community Service and will be its new president.

— The former House of Herbs with its house, barns and approximately 25 acres of land has been sold by Leonard E. Hurtz of Malibu, Calif., to Mrs. Viola Harden of Miami Beach, Fla., according to a deed filed at Town Hall in Salisbury. Mrs. Harden is the mother of Jesse Sanford, manager of the House of Herbs. 

— Mini-motoring enthusiasts of all ages are invited by the Kent Park and Recreation Commission to try Kent’s new slot car race track which has been set up in the Kent Center School cafeteria until the commission can find a permanent place for it. The track is the gift of the Pink family, owners of Camp Leonard.

25 years ago — July 1996

LAKEVILLE — A vast majority of residents who attended a recent town meeting voted to approve the selectmen’s rental of a historic former railroad depot to the local WQQQ radio station. The radio station will allow the Chamber of Commerce to use the building’s lobby area and public use of a bathroom on site.

— Residents along Clayton Road in Canaan received a letter recently from Norm Tatsapaugh, manager of the Connecticut Sand and Stone plant, notifying them that the mining company will excavate approximately 5.6 acres of land owned by St. Joseph’s Church. In the letter Tatsapaugh explained what land would be mined and said that following its mining the company would restore and grade the land to the satisfaction of the church. 

— Joseph G. Christinat of Canaan received a B.S. degree in journalism from Southern Connecticut State University at commencement exercises May 24.

More Information

TriCorner News

Copyright The Lakeville Journal
860-435-9873
PO Box 1688, Lakeville, CT 06039
All Rights Reserved

Membership