Enhancement plans discussed for Wassaic triangle park
AMENIA — Although research into ownership of the Wassaic triangular park is continuing, the Enhancement Committee has met to collect ideas from residents who would like to see the park’s appearance and function improved.
Co-chaired by Lauren Was and Margie O’Brian, the committee met at Town Hall for the second time on Wednesday, Sept. 6, to gather residents’ ideas for the parcel. A first meeting with the same purpose was held at the Town Hall on June 28.
Toward a goal of making the commercial center of Wassaic more attractive, Councilman Leo Blackman suggested an expanded vision beyond simply replacing the three dead trees that had been removed from the triangle. In addition to adding more trees, he favored defining proper parking spaces.
Other comments from residents included what to preserve within the triangle, improvements to the roadway, sidewalks, configuration of parking, and plantings. Residents had an opportunity to sketch ideas onto aerial views of the parcel and submit them to the committee at the meeting.
The committee was formed to gather community comment and reach consensus among residents and businesses about the future of the parcel once the details of ownership can be determined. So far, research into title history ends around 1919, according to town attorney Ian Lindars, but research efforts are continuing.
Once the ideas are combined into a single plan, the committee will report to the Town Board, seeking approval to hire the services of a landscape architect and a surveyor to resolve the property lines.
For more details, go to the Wassaic-Amenia Facebook page.