Login

Heavenly intervention thwarts fire at church

SALISBURY — Parishioners at the Lakeville United Methodist Church were alarmed at about 9:20 a.m. on Sunday, Aug.5, when smoke appeared to be coming out of the organ.

The service had not begun. The choir was rehearsing and the Rev. Margaret Laemmel was getting prepared.

In a phone interview Monday, Aug. 6, “Pastor Peg” said the Lakeville Hose Company determined it was an electrical fire.

The power is off for now, and Laemmel is trying to figure out the logistics for the church members.

Full text available to premium subscribers only. Log in or Create an account.

Once you've created an account, you will be given a free 30-day subscription to the site where you can view all content unrestricted. After 30 days, you can extend your account by purchasing a subscription.

If you are already a print subscriber, click here to give us your contact information, and we will confirm your active subscription and give you a password to access the website.