Login

Turning Back The Pages

100 years ago — April 1918

SALISBURY — A fire raged quite fiercely for a short time in the woods near the railway track adjoining F.D. Spurr’s land last Saturday, caused by a spark from a passing locomotive. Prompt work by a number of men extinguished the blaze before it had a chance to do much damage.

 

TACONIC — Theodore Woodin has accepted a position in Winsted, and went there Monday morning.

 

LIME ROCK — Mr. E. Richardson of New York was an over Sunday guest of his mother.

 

The lake is nearly free from ice.

 

LAKEVILLE — Mrs. Edith Welch has moved from Lincoln City to the Freeman Pulver place on Water Street.

 

50 years ago — April 1968

Ralph Ingersoll, journalist and newspaper owner, who lives on the Sharon side of the Housatonic at Cornwall Bridge, has offered the purchase The Torrington Register if he can acquire 80 percent of the stock.

 

NORFOLK — Mr. and Mrs. Richard R. Hasbrouck have returned from a 10,231 mile motor tour. They visited their three children, as well as spending some time in Texas, Mexico, Arizona, California, Minnesota and Canada.

 

SHARON — Mrs. Roger Wolcott and Miss Jane Wolcott spent last weekend with Miss Eulalia Schultes in Great Barrington.

 

The Cornwall Historical Society has received an album belonging to Catherine (Gold) Lovell, daughter of the late Deacon Benjamin Gold of Cornwall, and sister of Harriet (Gold) Boudinot, who married Elias Boudinot, the Cherokee Indian student at the Foreign Mission School.

 

Items have been extracted from old issues of The Lakeville Journal.